Monday, March 28, 2011

The More Important Question

Sweat dripping down my face as I tried with all my might to sit still and tolerate the heat that I was feeling.

Graduation rehearsals - one of the stickiest and irritable yet fondest last memories that I had in college. Never mind the uncomfortable feeling brought by the toga donned on us and the high heels we were wearing as we tried to perfect the walk, the sitting and standing, even the clapping, while at a covered court that's undeniably humid. It was worth the attendance, nonetheless.

For that three days of attending our graduation rehearsals, knowing too well of the emotional and reflective person that I am, I opted not to touch on or think of anything that would trigger my emotions to overcome and eat me. But then every time I would go back to my seat after playing pretend of getting my diploma on the stage and as I would watch my fellow graduates to each have their own turns, I couldn't stop myself to look back and ask a question to myself. DID I MAKE IT COUNT?

My college life that is.

How do we even measure the answer to such question?

By the distinctions you achieved? By the numbers of medals around your neck? By the organizations you became part of? By the grades you got? By the exams you aced? By the friends made and enemies you forgave? By the times you decided to stand after a fall?

I imagined God standing at the middle of the stage. Her name was called, she gracefully went up the stage and walked towards God to get the diploma, she paused as God asked her a question. What do you think would be the question? I don't think He would ask about her distinction, or how well she did in school, or how she behaved in class, not even the things she learned in college. More important than that. God has a question much much more important than that.

This might probably be my last entry for this blog site. When I decided to put this up, what was on my mind were students who I believe I can share the same experiences, frustrations, joy and delight with in honoring God and making disciples. Students who I can share how their same God would show Himself faithful to me all the time.

And what God has showed me through this blog site in that span of two hundred and thirty one days is this. As students, we are meant to do much more than learning in school or getting high grades, we are meant and called for a greater purpose. That is to shake our campus and make an impact to the lives of people by allowing God to use us in order for them - our classmates, even teachers - to see His glory.

This is something very much important and crucial for me because I met Jesus when I was in first year college. When I was a student. Let me say it again - in school, when I was a student. I came to know Jesus through students who allowed God for them to be used by Him, who radically and faithfully stepped out of their comfort zones to share their faith to me just so I would know my Saviour. Most part of why I passionately and deeply believe in the youth is because of this. I believe in students like you. I believe you can change the world by changing your campus. It can happen. We are never too young to make an impact in this world.

I know how terrible a student life is without a true relationship with Jesus. I've been there. And I know that there are thousands of students out there who badly need Jesus in their lives. Some of them might be your friends or classmates. Will you allow God to use you in order for them to come to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ?

God placed you in that school for an eternal purpose. And when it's time for Him to ask you that more important question, I want to believe that He also has a much better reward waiting for you than that of what we could get in this world.

If there's one thing I want to leave and remind us with as I wrap this whole blog site up is still gonna be this...

Honor God. Make Disciples.

“O Sovereign Lord,” I said, “I can’t speak for you! I’m too young!”

The Lord replied, “Don’t say, ‘I’m too young,’ for you must go wherever I send you and say whatever I tell you. And don’t be afraid of the people, for I will be with you and will protect you. I, the Lord, have spoken!”
- Jeremiah 1:6-8


Thank you Jesus!


To all the people who, by one way or another, became part of From One to Two Hundred and Thirty One, to those who dropped by and made time to read and comment, THANK YOU VERY MUCH! :)




DAY 228. SIGNING OFF. 03.28.11 2:50am

No comments:

Post a Comment