Thursday, November 4, 2010

Don't Just Pass it On



Second semester has begun and it's a bittersweet. This is going to be my last as a college student.

This semester I hope to shift my focus (ministry speaking) from leading small groups to training and empowering potential leaders; from overseeing Night LIFE to mentoring someone to oversee it. The time has come to pass it on to someone. The worst thing that I could do is let go of my small group or my job as a volunteer in Night LIFE right before graduation and entrust it to the people next in line unprepared.

Recently, I came across Maria Ressa's statement on leaving ABS-CBN as the chief of news and current affairs. Her contract expires in January of 2011 but she will no longer wait for January 2011 to leave, rather she chose to go on a terminal leave starting November 15. I loved her reason behind it, "It’s time for me to move on, but it’s important we transition properly and prepare our organization – and its new leader – for the challenges ahead."

As leaders, it is also our job to prepare the next leader. We don't have to wait until they take over and become leaders themselves to teach and mentor them what to do, we can actually start it as early as now. That's why it's called preparation in the first place. Preparation happens before, not during.

I hope and pray that I will be able to prepare the next leaders and encourage them NOT to be like me but rather to see them do greater than what I've done.

This semester is going to be exciting!


DAY 85 11.04.10 2:10am

No comments:

Post a Comment